It is a pleasure for me to welcome you to our website and I look forward to welcoming you to our vibrant club.
All clubs, however long established (over 75 years in our case), need to evolve with the times, and there are several enterprising members who contribute to maintaining a modern perspective on club activities. Recent examples are the introduction of cardio-tennis for those keep-fit folk, installation of floodlights, and the re-surfacing of two courts and the painting of all four courts, in stunning blue on green surrounds.
A key element to the continued success of the club is to attract new members. New people, with tennis skills ranging from beginner to advanced are welcome to join the club and take part in as many of the activities as their time permits.
The club is run on democratic lines, by an active committee responding to our members’ needs. My job is making sure ‘the cogs are well oiled’ and that we respect the views of all our members. The real work is in the hands of the Club Secretary, Treasurer, and Junior Coordinator.
I have encouraged a tennis-for-all philosophy in place of a more elitist approach. All those who find some satisfaction and even fun in hitting tennis balls against other like-minded folk are welcome to join us. The game is essentially social in nature and at the same time competitive at whatever level you choose.
The philosophy of tennis-for-all can be seen in some of the club activities:
- Beginner and improver sessions, and a comprehensive Junior programme
- Club tournaments available to all members (so-called American Tournaments, in which players have a different partner every 7 games)
- South Wales League tennis for all those who enjoy the competitive and social aspects of these fixtures
- Twice weekly Club Nights – where you can enjoy social and competitive mixed doubles for enjoyment
- The committee engaging with Tennis Wales and the LTA supporting the organisation of tennis in South Wales
We would be delighted if you decide to join our club, you would be most welcome and look forward to meeting you. Beg, buy or borrow a racket and come to give us a try. Tennis balls are provided on club nights and for competitions. Active team players are also encouraged to help promote a flourishing club. As a member you will have access to the club courts and our exciting new floodlights on two courts. Please check the events calendar on the website for non-available dates and times. Non marking tennis trainers are essential.